Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Ten questions for Miss Universe 2013, Gabriela Isler

Life is moving very fast these days for 25-year-old Gabriela Isler of Venezuela. Last month, during ceremonies in Moscow, Isler (a popular TV personality back home) was crowned Miss Universe - the seventh time a Venezuelan has taken that honor in the pageant’s 61-year history.   
Isler moved into a new apartment in New York City shortly before this interview was conducted. Although her command of English is impressive, Isler apologized throughout our conversation while searching for the words to best convey her thoughts.  
Dow: Living in New York City must be overwhelming if you’ve never been there before. How are you handling it so far? 
Isler: It’s very overwhelming. There have been a lot of changes in my life this year. Not only becoming Miss Universe but also in my personal life. It’s a big change to move to the big city – the city that never sleeps. I have a new life – a new apartment – a new roommate. It’s a big experience.   
Dow: You said that you have a roommate. Is that part of the rules of being Miss Universe? That someone must be there to watch over you?  
Isler: I don’t know if it’s a rule, but I do have a roommate. It’s Miss USA, Erin Brady.
Dow: I understand that you have a boyfriend back home in Venezuela. Is he a little nervous about the prospect of you traveling around the world?
Isler: He is a little nervous about that, but he supports me as Miss Universe and offers me lots of advice. He is not only my boyfriend but he’s a very good friend. I hope our relationship is still getting better after this year.  
Dow: What sorts of things do you do to stay in such good shape?  
Isler: I eat many times per day. Breakfast, snack, lunch, snack. That way you can regulate your metabolism. Recently, I haven’t had time to go to the gym. Usually I go four or five times a week - two hours of gym to keep the body in good form. I work the abs and the quads but I don’t do heavy weights. Lots of exercise but no diet – just healthy limitations.  
Dow: Is there a food that you consider to be your weakness?
Isler (laughing): Chocolate. Not a bar of chocolate but if you give me a brownie with ice cream or a chocolate cake, I will eat it, I swear.  
Dow: You are a strong advocate for AIDS research and education. How did you decide to adopt that as your platform?  
Isler: As Miss Universe, I think it’s important to not only be a role model for girls but for everyone. I hope that if people see me talk about the importance of HIV and AIDS awareness, they will do the same thing.  
Dow: Who makes you laugh? Who is the funniest person that you know? 
Isler: My niece. When I need to laugh, I think of her. She is 4 years old and a little princess. I have that picture of her in my head and she can always make me laugh when I need it.  
Dow: I read a story yesterday about the president of Venezuela, Nicolas Maduro. Is he OK? What do you know about him?
Isler: He is very proud of me. He took the time to go on Twitter after I was chosen as Miss Universe to wish me congratulations. He is proud of me and I feel honored.
Dow: The reason I ask is because over the weekend, he sent the Venezuelan national army to occupy and steal from electronics stores to give plasma TVs to people who want them. He doesn’t seem to be a very “business friendly” president if you know what I mean. 
Isler: I haven’t had time to read lately so I’m not sure about this, but I do know about some things happening in my country and I feel very sad. But as I told you before, I also feel happy because I give people there a reason to feel the same happiness. I just try to give happiness to my country in these difficult moments. 
Dow: After your year of being Miss Universe, what would you like to do? Where do you see yourself a year from now?  
Isler: I’m a businesswoman. I studied marketing and I would like to have my own company while also being part of the modeling world. I have time to think over the next year. I have a lot of goals in my head right now.  
Dow: Have you ever visited Maine? Do you know where we are? 
Isler (laughing): No; I know it is very far from New York.
Dow: We’re not that far. Bangor to New York City takes about seven hours on a good day.
Isler (laughing): Oh, you are close. I can go there tomorrow.  

No comments:

Post a Comment