Friday, February 28, 2014

Fmr. Miss America talks anorexia, strives to help women nationwide


By Darlene Hill

From magazines to models, society has an image of what they think pretty is. "I think that being thin in this culture is highly glamorized, and the truth is, that to be on a diet all of the time, to be obsessed with food and weight loss, is not a way to live," said Kirsten Haglund, Former Miss America of 2008. Haglund struggled with an eating disorder at an early age. She was a 12 year ballet dancer who thought she was too fat.Three years later, Haglund's parents discovered her secret: she was anorexic. "That was my life, but my parents showed me that I was deteriorating not only my physical health but my mental health as well. I was depressed. I pushed my friends and family away and I was just a totally different person," Haglund said.When Haglund received her crown in 2008, she made ‘Eating Disorder Awareness' her passion and platform. 

Haglund travels all around the country, talking to women ages 18 to 24 about eating disorders and body images. The Former Miss America said that parents everywhere should listen if the topic comes up. She also said to watch your child's eating habits because eating too much or not enough will tell you something.
"Some of the signs to look for are [an] obsession with calories and [an] obsession of weight loss method. [Also] over exercising, frequent trips to the bathroom after eating, hiding food or hoarding food, eating in private or avoiding situations that involve food," said Haglund.

No comments:

Post a Comment