Friday, February 14, 2014

Miss United States 2012 Is Trading Her Crown For A Black Belt


by Sammi Mazza

People often wonder what happens to titleholders once their reign is over. Sometimes it seems to be they simply fall off the face of the Earth, but this is not the case for Miss United States 2012, Whitney Miller. The former Miss Texas U.S., who is pursuing her Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt, is already competing in events around the country, winning medals along the way. “Sometimes its horrible and I just want to go cry in a little corner,” Miller said in a recent promotional video. “I definitely do that, but you just have to keep going and keep pushing through all of those challenges.” When pursuing something new or exciting in life, your family and friends may react in different ways. Ways you are not always prepared for, Miller says, “When I told my family I was going to go into combative sports, that was a trip to say the least, my mom was crying. My dad is an old Texas banker and he said it was stupid.”

Currently fighting out of Austin, Texas, Miller has trained with UFC fighter Cub Swanson and fellow MMA fighter, Tessa Simpson. Swanson is currently ranked fourth in the promotion’s featherweight class, so he knows what it takes to succeed in the Octagon should Miller want to parlay her BJJ training into a mixed martial arts career.

She hopes her story will motivate others. “What I want to show is you can go out there and do anything. If a beauty pageant queen can go earn a jiu jitsu black belt, you have no excuses.”

No comments:

Post a Comment