Monday, June 23, 2014

From a Miss USA: The Difference Between Miss America & Miss USA


by Kristen Dalton Wolfe 
Editor’s Note: This is not a commentary on either winner pictured in the cover photo. This is strictly a commentary of the overall purpose of each organization.
One of the most commonly asked questions during my year as Miss USA was, “What is the difference between Miss USA & Miss America?” My pageant friends, whether competitors, supporters or friends/family in either program have experienced this question too and reasonably so. Over the years, I have noticed that rather than using this innocent question as an opportunity to empower women by highlighting the benefits of each program, it has served as a source of division. A defensive tone is taken while each party tries to prove that one program is better than the other. This past week, I spent 5 days judging the Miss NC America pageant. I competed in the program myself, so I was aware of the invaluable benefits and ideals it affords young women. But, as a former Miss USA that has been heavily involved in the Miss Universe Organization for years, this past week turned on a light switch. We are all in it for the same purpose. Although different, the ultimate goal of each program is to enrich the lives of young women. Why don’t we uplift and support each other?
I was so impressed with the Miss America program, especially how it operates in North Carolina. The calibre of young women blew me away. They are top of their classes, Student Body Presidents, published authors, internationally traveled performers and founders of organizations. I was judging the Teen program and was practically mind-blown by their sharp, intelligent, diplomatic, well-spoken interviews, which are conducted like a press-conference. I had to keep reminding myself that they were teenagers!
Each one of them are truly leaders of their generation and it is largely in part due to the empowering standards & ideals of the Miss America Organization that these women have learned the benefit of rising above the status quo. As I sat there conducting the interviews, I thought to myself, “I hope my daughter will look up to someone like her.”
I was impressed to learn that Miss South Carolina 2012 Ali Rogers, who judged alongside me earned $63,000 in scholarship money. The women who compete in the Miss America program win thousands of dollars in scholarship money, not only at the national and state levels, but at their local levels too. These women are able to further their educations, obtain Masters degrees and have the freedom to start their careers debt-free. Being surrounded primarily by Miss America enthusiasts for the week, many people wanted to know what the Miss Universe Organization is all about and what my experience as Miss USA was like. I excitedly explained that I got to live in New York City for a year, represent our country in the Miss Universe competition, had Donald Trump as my first boss out of college and traveled the nation speaking in schools. I was also privileged to raise awareness and funding for breast and ovarian cancer research and volunteering with the USO.
The prestige of the title led to great relationships and opportunities after the crown as well. A fantastic career has developed with a company I have been with for 5 years. I’ve been in several national commercials, Super Bowl commercials and have been the National LA Fitness Spokesmodel for the past two years. The interpersonal, mental strength and public speaking skills I gained have prepared me for my ultimate career goal, which is operating my own company and motivational speaking. Miss USA may have originated as a swimsuit competition and they may still place an emphasis on beauty in the actual competition, but the life skills gained in the preparation process and in the actual job of a titleholder are immeasurable and enriching. Ultimately, involvement in the organization can cultivate and lead to successful careers and financial independence for young women. Just look at Ali Landry, Shandi Finnessey, Rachel Smith, Susie Castillo and Kimberly Pressler. They are all incredibly intelligent, driven women. A common belief is that USA girls are pretty and America girls are smart. As a matter of fact, when I won Miss NC USA, someone said the answer I should give when asked the difference between the two is this:
Miss America is the girl who lives next door, Miss USA is the girl you wish lived next door.”
I remember feeling so off-put by that off-putting definition. After this week, I whole-heartedly understand why. It is because at the end of the day, both Miss America and Miss USA are programs that promote and cultivate the empowerment and success of young women. They are both aiming to be relevant and fresh while being good role-models, so that young girls have someone truly honorable to emulate. Yes, each program has a different approach and thank goodness! They both provide an outlet for a wide range of young women to participate with their individual strengths, interests and career goals. Competitors in both organizations are beautiful and smart. Let’s make it black and white. Let’s stop saying beauty defines one and intelligence defines the other. Next time you are asked the difference between Miss America and Miss USA, here is a response that empowers both organizations:
Miss America is the leading provider of scholarships for women in the nation and Miss USA is a salary-based position that represents our nation at the Miss Universe competition. The preparation that goes into each competition fosters self-confidence, excellent communication skills, a resilience in regards to rejection and constructive criticism, drive, goal-setting, poise, self and global awareness.
I’ll end on this note. It was my platform title when I competed at Miss NC America: It was my platform title when I competed at Miss NC America:
United We Stand, Divided We Fall Behind.

No comments:

Post a Comment